Cross-Border Tax Lawyer
Max solves tax problems that span both sides of the Canada-US border including:
- Advising corporations on the US tax implications of cross-border transactions and initial public offerings;
- Helping US citizens in Canada deal with US tax issues including renouncing their US citizenship;
- Developing estate and tax plans that work on both sides of the border;
- Advising Canadian investment funds on investments into the United States and receiving investments from US taxpayers.
Max is the co-author (with Dick Pound of Stikeman Elliot) of A Tax Guide for American Citizens in Canada, as well as over 20 technical and plain language articles on a wide range of cross-border tax topics. Max has developed a number of novel solutions to common cross-border tax problems such as:
- Helping US taxpayers avoid terrible tax consequences if they invest in Canadian mutual funds;
- Exempting over $1 billion of investments held by Canadian Aboriginal communities from US tax; and
- Designing a practical strategy that allows US citizens in Canada to have RESPs and TFSAs.
Recognized for his expertise, Max is often invited to speak at conferences and seminars for tax professionals and the general public. He was invited to testify before the Canadian House of Commons Finance Committee on the impact of US tax law on Canadians.
Prior to joining SKL, Max worked at an White & Case LLP, an international law firm in New York City where he provided US tax advice to individuals, corporations, and foreign states.
He holds a BA and two law degrees from McGill University, where he won a number of academic and leadership awards, and is admitted to the bars of BC and New York.
You can reach Max at email@example.com.